Getting started


Life in Japan


After the courses




Getting started


Is it really possible for me to study in Japan?

If you are 18 years old or above, steady student, financially sound and have completed the equivalent of 12 years of studies, you can come to study in Japan.

Can I apply for the school directly?

You are advised not to apply the schools directly. When applying to a school directly, you are on your own. However, with us you have professionals to help you all the way with almost no or with very small cost. Applying directly to an overseas school, the process can be complicated and confusing.

Most schools do not provide online applications and it’s complicated to complete the application. You need to contact with the schools, request an application package or download application forms, transfer application fees and deliver application documents.

Schools process hundreds of applications each term. So it’s difficult to get a response about entry requirements (as sometime it varies from country to country), program details and your application status. Many students complain that nobody replies to their emails in timely manner, and sometimes their calls are not answered satisfactorily as administration staff cannot communicate in English.

Can I apply through an agent?

Motivist Japan does not recommend you to apply for Japanese schools agency. First, the agency charges a high service fee. Secondly, an agency cannot provide the necessary help when you encounter problems in Japan (unless you work with one of our recommended or affiliated agents in your country).

What help can I get from Motivist Japan?

Motivist Japan offers a range of information about courses, educational institutions and life in Japan. We offer advice and services to find a suitable school according to each student’s choice, take care of all their paper works for enrollment, visa process, air-ticket and accommodation.

We also keep in touch with all of our students while they are studying in Japan, help and guide them if needed.

When should I apply?

Applicants should apply for their chosen school and course at least six months before the starting date if they are planning to come to Japan with a student visa.

Deadlines for applicants who need student visa are as follows:

Deadline Stating date

July  ~  September January

August ~ October April

January ~ March July

February ~ April October

What Fees should I pay during the application process?

You need to pay the application fee for the school which you are applying for. However, Motivist Japan does not charge any fee.

Application Procedure

Step 1:

. Choose a school & course.

. Complete the online application.

. Submit scans of all the required documents (academic certificate copy, bank statement, Japanese language course certificate/diploma & other relevant documents if any).

Step 2:

. Motivist Japan will screen your documents, advise and guide you accordingly.

. Send the original of all the documents including school application, along with the school application fee.

. We will check and submit the application package to the school.

. We will update you regarding your application status regularly.

What are the payment methods?

Motivist Japan offers two types of payments. Paypal (you do not need to have a Paypal account; you can pay by credit card) and T/T (bank remittance) to our company account.

Can I pay the school application fee after I get admitted?

No. Schools require the students to pay the application fee before submitting the application. Otherwise your application won’t be processed.

Note: before we submit your application to the school, we will check it and all the documents with the school. If it is acceptable by the school then we proceed and ask you to pay the above fees (school application fee).

Is the application fee refundable?

The application fee is non-refundable, no matter the outcome, whether you are accepted or not.

What is JLPT?

JLPT means “Japanese Language Proficiency Test”. It is the most-recognized test to assess your Japanese language skills. You will need to reach certain levels of JLPT (N1 or N2) in order to be admitted to Higher Education Institutions.

You can take the test in Japan of course, but also in many places around the world.

For more information, please click here.

I am not sure what course I should choose. What shall I do?

Make sure your objectives are clearly defined. For example, do you intend to join a high education institution in Japan after learning the language? If so, you will need an intensive course.

You may want to have a look at information posted on our site. For a good start, please click here.

What do I need to be admitted by a school?

You only have to be more than 18 years old and have completed High School. If you intend to take an intensive Japanese language course, we recommend that you start learning it in your country prior to joining a program in Japan.

How can I get a visa to study in Japan?

Getting a visa to study in Japan can prove to be somewhat troublesome. A lot of paperwork is required and it can take a long time. But this is one of the services provided by Motivist Japan: we basically take care of everything and help expedite the process – you will only have to pickup your visa at the Japanese embassy or consulate in your home country.

For more information, click here.

When do courses usually start?

Usually, there are 4 sessions: in January, April, July and October. That might change from one school to another.

What kind of schedule can I expect from a Japanese Language school in Japan?

A typical program usually comprises about 20 hours per week. In addition, there are off-site activities to familiarize students with Japanese culture and way of life.

How much money does it cost to study in Japan?

Prices may vary from school to school but you can estimate the cost to be about 80,000 Yens per month (including text books and everything needed for studies, excluding daily expenses out of school), thus about 8,000$ or 7,000 Euros per year.

Is there an age limit to study in Japan?

There is no age limit to study in Japan. However, if you are over 30 years old, chances are that the Immigration office will look more closely at your application. If you want to know about your specific situation, feel free to contact us and we will do our best to assist you.

What city shall I choose?

Obviously, this is a personal decision, depending on your preferences and depending on your objectives. For example, if you intend to look for a job after your language studies, you should consider choosing a school in Tokyo, by far the largest city in Japan. You would then increase your chances to find a job that suits you. The climate is also something to consider: if you cannot withstand the cold, avoid Hokkaido. If, on the contrary, you intend to spend a summer in Japan and hate a very warm weather, then Hokkaido would be a good place for that matter. Take the time to consider all the criteria that are relevant to you. To learn more about Japanese cities, click here.


Life in Japan


How can I find a place to live in Japan?

We can help you find a place. However, our experience shows that it is preferable to choose housing while in Japan. So we recommend you to either find a short-term solution, enabling you to look for the perfect place later when you are in Japan, or simply to wait until you are here.

Also, your school will be able to assist you.

For more information about accommodations, click here.

Is it possible to work while studying?

Yes it is possible, under certain conditions that are not constraining at all. To know more about this topic, please click here.

How can I open a bank account in Japan?

It is easy to open a bank account in Japan, and we recommend you to do so. To open an account, you will only need your Residence card. To learn more, click here.

How can I get Health Insurance?

It is mandatory to subscribe to the National Health Insurance and, upon your arrival, this is one of the first things you will do. To read more, click here.

Is it difficult to get a cellphone?

No, it is quite easy. Depending on the time you expect to spend in Japan (and your budget) you will have a few options to choose from: prepaid phone, prepaid SIM card, rented smartphone, wifi or not wifi … At the airport, you will find phone companies for immediate phone rental. Or you will easily find branches of the most famous providers (Softbank, Docomo …) in the city.

How much should I budget for daily expenses?

Provided your breakfast is taken at home, you can count 1,500 Yens for the other meals. To that, add 1,000 Yens for transportation and/or other expenses. In other words, with 2,500 Yens (about 23$ or 20 Euros) per day (not taking into account school fee, rent and utilities), you cover daily expenses.


After you have completed the language program

Will I be able to go to a college or university in Japan after my language course?

Lectures in higher education institutions in Japan are conducted in Japanese almost exclusively. This is the reason why you should have a Level N1 or Level N2 at the Japanese Language Proficiency Test. Provided you have reached such a level and have the adequate academic knowledge, you will be able to pursue your studies in Japan.

Will I be allowed to look for a job in Japan after I have finished my language school?

No, not only language school. If you have academic background of Graduates of universities, junior colleges and colleges of technology, or Graduates of professional training colleges who have obtained their ‘diploma’. Even if you are unable to find a job before your graduation, you may continue your job-seeking activities for 1 year after the graduation by changing your resident status from ‘College Student’ to ‘Designated Activities’. Once you have found a job, your employer will sponsor you for a work visa.