In order to study in Japan, students must generally get a Student Visa – unless the students come from OECD countries and intend to study less than 3 months, or unless they are eligible to get a Working Holiday visa.  Visa applications are submitted by students at the Japanese Embassy or Consulate in their home country. But before that, they must get a Certificate of Eligibility. Getting a COE is a lengthy and a little complicated process. This is where Motivist Japan can help you and assist you in overall process.

How to get a student visa for Japan?


Conditions to be granted a visa:

Visa application

Prospective students must be 18 years old or more, and have completed high School or above with higher education (exceptions apply for some countries).

Note: Japan’s educational system consists of 12 years (6-3-3) of studies. Then students advance to higher education like college or university. Educational system of some countries doesn’t fulfill 12 years before higher education.

If applicants from these countries graduate from high school as their final educational background, they cannot apply for student visa or higher education in Japan.

For more information on requirements, please click here.

Length of the visa:

2 years maximum.

Student visas can be extended whenever students extend their studies.

Starting Dates:

The Japanese academic year starts in April. But there are generally 4 sessions per year in Japanese language schools: January, April, July and October.

Getting a student visa for Japan can be an overwhelming process. This is one of the reason where Motivist Japan can help you. With our mastery of the ins and out of the process, we are committed to provide a smooth and easier application process for you. We will take care the paperwork. You save time and energy and the best of it all, our service is for FREE.


Procedure for applicants who need a Student Visa

Procedure Starting dates & Deadlines
April * July October * January
You send us the necessary documents by email. Aug. ~ Oct. Jan. ~ Feb. Mar. ~ Apr July.~Aug.
We review all documents, translate and correct where necessary. (Once cleared you might need to send the originals and application fee to the school, though it varies school to school). Oct. ~ Nov. Feb. ~ Mar. Apr. ~ May Aug. ~Sep.
Your application is sent to the Regional Immigration Bureau in Japan. End of Nov. End of Mar. End of May End of Sep.
The Immigration Bureau checks your documents Dec. ~ Feb. Apr. ~ May June ~ Aug. Sep. ~ Nov.
The Immigration Bureau issues a Certificate of Eligibility (Permission from the Japanese Government to be granted a Student visa). End of Feb. End of May End of Aug. End of Nov.
The school issues the invoice. End of Feb. End of May End of Aug. End of Nov.
You remit the invoiced fees to the school. Beg.of Mar. Beg.of June Beg.of Sep. Beg.of Dec.
After confirmation of payment, we send you the  original Certificate of Eligibility and Admission Certificate. Mid. of Mar. Beg. of June Mid. of Sep. Mid. of Dec.
You submit COE with all other supporting documents at the Japanese Embassy to apply for your visa. Mid.of Mar. Mid.of June Mid.of Sep. Mid.of Dec.
Departure for Japan. Beg.of Apr. Beg.of July Beg.of Oct. Beg.of Jan.

* Getting the “CoE” for the April and October sessions takes longer as those 2 sessions are the busiest ones

Student visa for Japan

Motivist Japan helps expedite the process and get your visa application approved